Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Natural Resource Options and NOSC: A Comparison

              Back in September of 2013 I began my student internship for NOSC. My primary role: document the class experience and the 3 Crabs restoration project through a blog. Through the course of the semester I have spent 3 hours with a group of people every Thursday, getting to know them through helping with the 3 Crabs Project. In doing that, I have trudged through hip-high water, myself adorned with hip-waders, picked up debris at the demolition site of 3 Crabs, and sat in Kiwi’s Fish and Chips enjoying a free sample of chowder. Not only have I done so much more, but I've learned so much in the proce.
               One memorable moment was using the hip waders. That day, Jamie Michel, the project coordinator, took the class on a tour of the other side of the 3 Crabs beach. In doing so, we crossed over a metal post fence that divided the two. It was amazing to see how… untouched the beach looked. There was sea rocket (a sea-shore plant with waxy, thick, green lobed leaves and pale, lavender flowers) scattered amongst the beach; algae formed in big, dark heaps; there were tiny footmarks of birds imprinted in lines on the sand. It was so unperturbed! One single fence was the axis of the reflection of two beaches, one being a plethora of life and habitat, the other a place barren, lacking the ecosystem of the other. It was amazing being able to see the goal of the restoration.

                The student internship has been a fun, educational time for me. I have had the opportunity to strengthen my communication skills by interviewing people for the blog. Also, I have received hands-on experience with working with an organization like NOSC. I’m looking forward to next semester. 

No comments:

Post a Comment